Ideas

Aesthetics

1/22/10

20-minute playlist #2

-

The links below are to mp3s (I'm assuming everyone knows how to find bands on myspace/facebook etc). Enjoy.

Mazes - Painting of Tupac Shakur (1:20min)

I don't know much about this band. When the song starts I get excited about a chill ambient guitar song, something good for either the beginning or ending of a mixed cd I'm making for a friend. Then the guitar goes low and the drum clicks wake you up. Get ready, let's go, alright, alright, alright. How could I forget how fun rock can be?

Street Chant - Scream Walk (2:32min)

Somewhere there is a better version of this song but alas we get the 7" version. These New Zealand kids are young and they like to rock. When I listen to this which I often do I feel like I'm a young angsty teen again, minus the acne, and it's awesome. Bonus for being punk and not sounding like crap. The video version of the song is probably better than the mp3.



Pegase - Wherever You Are (4:44min)

Every time I pick up a bass guitar I play the bass line to this song, even before I had ever heard it. It's just the thing to play when you pick up a bass. I have many personal feelings about this song. I drive to AM/PM and buy 2 sparks (RIP). I get in my car and drive to downtown blasting this song. I drink the sparks and feel hopeful about the night. What more is there? Really.

Deastro - Parallelogram (2:56min)

I have no idea why this guy isn't more popular than he is. Do I have bad taste in music? I don't think so. The musical theme here is triumphant. While the indie/blog trend now is to be lo-fi, chillwave, etc, Deastro puts his music right in the front. He's not afraid of clarity or lushness. The sounds you hear are just as sonically complicated as his lyrics. This song is the soundtrack to something great happening.

jj - Let Go (3:02min)
jj - My Way (3:30min)

Pitchfork unwisely gave Let Go something like 4.4... what the hell are they thinking? Is our generation not deserving of our own Enya? While Enya was sailing away, our parents were buying tevas and ushering us through the movie aisle to get our seats for Jurassic Park. Can't jj get high on ecstacy and sample Lil Wayne while we use our respective iTechnologies? It makes perfect sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search